User groups allow you to put users into groups for:
- Targeted notifications;
- Secondary responders (Fire Wardens, First Aid Officers - as defined by you/your organisation);
- Filtering users with specific skills sets on the Command Live screen through the Group Filter menu;
- Generating reports based on the user group(s);
- Checking for disconnections and sending out alerts if "Enable Disconnection Timeout Alert" is enabled in Global Settings - Check-In Settings
To view the User Groups click on Admin -> Users -> User Groups to go to the user groups page (the screenshot below is for illustration purposes only)
In the steps below, we will go through how to create a closed user group for Fire Wardens that has notifications enabled and a user group icon colour set to red.
To create a new user group:
- Click on Create New Group. The New User Group page will appear
- Enter in the name of the user group you wish to create.
- Click on Save to create the new group and go to the User Group editor page, otherwise click on Cancel.
By default, the user group you create will:
- be a closed group;
- have notifications enabled;
- have no icon colour selected;
- have no users added to the group;
- To edit the group, click on Edit.
Here you can edit the name of the group.
- Select whether the group is to be a Closed or Open Group by ticking/un-ticking the checkbox for "Closed Group".
Closed Groups can only be administered by SafeZone administrators in the Command application. Example of this are Fire Wardens, First Aiders, or other groups which are not publicised to the general user base.
Groups which are Open are shown to SafeZone users when they sign-up to the system. These groups could be used to notify users on non-urgent communications, e.g. Special Event Notifications or for users who may attend classes at different campuses.
- If "Enable Notifications" is selected, the user group can have notifications sent to it through the Notify tab for communicating to users through the SafeZone app, email or SMS.
- To select an icon colour, click on Choose Color to bring up the colour palette
The Icon colour of the group is useful for viewing which users are members of the group on the Command Live screen. It will also display the group name in the Group Filter menu so Command users can filter our which user groups they need to view on the Live screen. A use case of this would be for a first aid alert - by tapping on Group Filter and selecting Fire Wardens from the drop-down menu.
- Select a colour from the palette. You can choose from the Theme Colours, the Standard Colours or from the Web Colours by clicking on the Web Colors link.
In this instance, we have chosen red as the colour
- To change the icon colour click on Change, to remove the icon colour completely click on Clear (Important: clearing the icon colour and saving your changes will make the user group disappear from the Live Screen)
On the Live screen, any users who have group memberships with a colour associated will have a "traffic light" next to their check-in icon. As per the screenshot below, the user is a member of the Fire Wardens
- Once you have configured the user group, click on Save Changes to save your changes, otherwise click on Discard Changes to revert back to the previous settings.
The User list works in a similar way to the User List menu with some minor changes. In the User Group editor page, you can:
- add users to the group;
- filter between SafeZone, OmniGuard (or both) users and display the users who are members of the group;
- import a list of users to the group (only for Closed groups);
To modify the users in the group:
- To add/remove a user(s) to the group tick/untick the check-box next to the user's name.
- You can also click on the user's email address to bring up their user details editor page.
For instructions on how to edit a user's details, please see the guide on Editing a user's details
By default, the user list will display all of the registered users in your site. Filtering allows you to display users who use SafeZone or OmniGuard (or both)
- Click on Filter to display the filter
- The drop-down menu will appear allowing you to select:
- SafeZone & OmniGuard (default);
- SafeZone or
- OmniGuard users.
The user list will adjust to display the users who fall into those categories.
- Ticking the checkbox for "Only show users in the <User group name> group" will display only the users who are members of that group.
- Click on Clear Filter to clear any filtering options and reset back to displaying SafeZone & OmniGuard users.
Import (only for Closed groups)
The User Group Import feature allows you to add multiple users to a user group who have already been added to SafeZone either by Registering a new user or by adding users through the Pre-Registrations feature.
To import an Excel spreadsheet of users:
- Click on Import to bring up the Import Group page.
The spreadsheet must be in 2007 or later format (.xlsx) and the first column of the first worksheet must contain the email addresses for the users.
- Click on Choose file to select the Excel file from your computer.
- Click on Upload Spreadsheet to upload the spreadsheet.